Monday, February 28, 2005

When I'm old...I hope I don't get alzheimer's. I've seen what it does to people. I'd hate to have to go through that. And put family through pain.

We were at my mom's boyfriend's house and his mom has alzheimer's. Well she never remembers who I am most of the time. Tonight I had fallen asleep for about 2 hours on the couch, she was sitting in the wheelchair and saw me moving around. When I was about to get up to go to the restroom because I was curious at how much I weighed she grabbed my arm.

"Honey, come here. Let me hold you. Just let me hold you. Sit on my knee."

and as I was trying to get up she was asking if I was alright and if I was sure I didn't want to sit in her lap

"Are you sure you don't want to sit down? Where are you going?"

So I just told her I was going to the bathroom

It makes me feel bad having to go along with them because if you say the wrong thing she'll start crying. So if she asks for 'kids' we say they're out with one of her sons. Or if the baby's in the other room and she claims she has to go put him to bed, we say that the 'nanny' already put him to bed. And then of course if we make any sort of noise she gets after us because we'll 'wake the baby up'.

No comments: